Saturday, October 30, 2010

Traditions

You're going to have to help me out on this. I love the idea of traditions and want to start some with our own family of four, but I need ideas.  Think about things your family did while you were growing up or things you do now for holidays or special times of the year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, first day of school, summertime, snow days, birthdays, all the major holidays and anything else you can think of.

Several years ago, we started part of our Christmas tradion.  On Christmas morning we have a special breakfast-pancakes or waffles (I think it's going to be waffles), scrambled eggs, and fresh squeezed orange juice.  Then Matt reads the Christmas story from the Bible. And you probably know what comes next. Presents.  Just a few.  Our goal is to get the boys 3 presents a year. I got this idea from a friend. If I remember right, their kids got new jammies, a book, and a toy.  I like the simplicity of that. Our boys don't NEED anything, but I have so much fun shopping. And then the wrapping is even more fun for me.  Then I get to admire the pretty presents under the tree. And then see a little face light up when the present is opened.

Although we have not done this yet, I like this Christmas idea I got from someone else. Dress the kids in their jammies, make hot chocolate and popcorn or whatever snack you want, and drive around to look at Christmas lights. I LOVE to look at Christmas lights and I really like the rest of this idea. I doubt we will be able to do it this year, but maybe next.  And I plan on wearing my Christmas jammies too. Doubtful that Matt will participate in the jammie portion. Perhaps I can bribe him with the snack.

I'm looking forward to reading about your traditions. Please leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. When we were little we used to all sit around with my dad and make a Lego town to set up with the train that always went around our Christmas tree. If we loved it as little girls, I'm SURE little boys would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to be able to open one present on Christmas eve! I love that!!!! I think it would be fun to add that to your jammies and hot chocolate. :) It was always our ornament. My mom got each of us an ornament and when we were adults with our own trees, she gave us the ornaments from our childhood! I LOVE THAT! I like what you're doing with the presents. I think the same thing (but we don't have kids yet). I read a blog where they got their kids 4 things: Something they want, Something they need, Something to wear, and Something to read. I want to use that! I think it would be so fun to keep with that tradition! It gives boundaries and its something I think kids would remember. Ken and I go pick out and cut down our Christmas tree; I get a new ornament for each of us every year; and I cook/bake a recipe out of this "Christmas Book" my mom made me for a wedding present. This year, I'm starting a new tradition: Each of us will write our goals for the year...or what we hope to happen in the next year. You stick them in each person's stocking, and then when you get your stockings the NEXT year, you read them. I think it will be neat to see where we were a year ago.

    Oh...another good tradition I read on a blog that I would love to do when we have kids is wrap 24 Christmas books and put them in a basket under the tree. Every day/night the kids pick out a book and the family reads it. On Christmas day, the Christmas story is read from the Bible.

    Anyway---that was REALLY long, but I love traditions! :) MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete